Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Cheap fridges

We have a cheap little bar fridge, Chinese made ofcourse and from previous experience I'm pretty sure it has something stuck in the compressor... In an attempt to free it up, I swapped the start and run windings and got it to kick over, after which it ran normally. Weird part was that when it cycled on the thermostat, it can't restart.

I'm at a loss to figure out what is happening, thinking about tipping it on its side to maybe force the item out the discharge and hope it doesn't block the capillary tube. Problem with that is I'll be giving the compressor a drink of oil which it is very unlikely to enjoy. That and getting oil into the evaporator and stuff will probably make it sad. Hmm, only real choice I have though. Think I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: I tilted the fridge over after I got it running again, compressor stalled as it got a sip of oil. Bit of persuasion seems to have got it to push the oil out the discharge and it's running again. Now I just hope that whatever was in there stalling it doesn't end up blocking the capillary tube.

EDIT: Well damn, seems this compressor is more annoying than I expected. May have to just leave it on it's side and try to start it a few times. I can't imagine the oil is going to do much to the rest of the system but it's the last chance it has. Really need to flush whatever it is in there out into the filter(?)/dryer.

EDIT: Yup, don't try that at home kiddies. Blew the gasket on the compressor trying to do that and embedded the broken off piece of valve well and truly into the piston.

No comments:

Post a Comment