Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Dropping out of University

Yeah, I'm about to become a statistic. Thought I'd share my thoughts for anyone else in a similar situation.

So, a bit of background. I went pretty good in highschool, coming out with an OP4 (pretty decent, overall performance rank in QLD, Aus) and a lot of encouragement to go to University. Around the same time, senior year, I started to lose motivation towards schoolwork, with no real light at the end of the tunnel to aim for, but I pushed through.

Moving on a little, I'm now at university, studying engineering (was thinking of an electrical major). I've been studying for almost a year now, after moving 1700km away from home to do so. As a result of my limited social skills (and motivation), I've still yet to make any decent friends, and really don't enjoy the classes (mainly dry and theoretical). On top of it all, I still have no idea where I want to end up, aiming for anything other than a desk job. 

Overall this mix of factors has left me in a less than ideal situation, stressing over stuff I'll forget after exams and probably never use again. So, I'm going to dropout. 

"You're ruining your life!" you might say. So be it. I'd rather go into a trade and do something I enjoy, something hands on, something where I learn stuff that I actually *use*, rather than learn how to be an obedient student. Sure, my dad sounded disappointed when I spoke to him. Sure, I might not make it to the top of the corporate ladder. But what's the point in any of that if it needs 4 years of mind-numbing indoctrination, just to get there? Plus, screw having to suit up everyday.

"Hey mum, I'm loving life! Got to fire my first drone today!"
That's about it. I just need something hands on that actually has a practical use, and some visible outcomes. Will probably end up becoming an appentice electrician. We'll see...

TL;DR: Go with your heart. If you can't stand uni and dream to be doing something else, do it. The world is yours.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled across your blog from your VGA post, and I really like your content! I think we're close to the same age, and had similar hobbies in HS, but took different paths in life. I'm really curious to see what happened after dropping uni?

    ReplyDelete