Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Recycling

It's funny, I go out and wish I could find old things to reuse, like airconditioners (heat pump), fridges (air compressor) and just other stuff like misc. electronics... Then I end up at places like the local junkyard, or the scrap dealer. This world must be here to torture me.


Let's take the local junk yard to start with, this place makes me sad. They have piles of scrap and stuff like all junk yards, mountains of junk. Went there today to drop off some computer cases and the sheer scale of of the old whitegoods living there is astonishing, I was almost going to start scavenging. Then my dad pointed out the "STRICTLY NO SCAVENGING" signs...

Typical, isn't it? I bet in the days people were allowed to scavenge, someone got hurt, and no doubt being all stupid probably said "I'm gonna sue, I cut myself on something sharp and got tetanus", ruining it for the rest of us. This mentality of people just annoys me, with everything in a scrap yard, there are dangers, and one would hope that people would think of those before scavenging. Oh well.

And the scrap dealer, I don't really have much of a problem with them, it's just that they also seem to not even attempt to re-purpose anything, it's all just "strip it and send it to China for processing". I'm betting there are tonnes of equipment, big or small (like the little electronic ballasts I saw there today) are absolutely fine.

Either way, it just disappoints me that we don't put much effort into reusing what we already have, instead just shipping all the previously working stuff over to China in cubes of scrap metal, to be melted down and made into more crap. Why not put in a bit more effort to reduce the amount of energy expended? It can't be that hard.

Our society is stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment